Sometimes having your head in the clouds is a beautiful thing.
Flying over the Canadian Rockies yesterday was inspiring and so beautiful.
Split Pea & Potato Soup (Slow Cooker)
We love split pea soup but sometimes it’s a little too thick and heavy for Spring/Summer. Here’s a recipe for a lighter version that’s just as delicious, has very few ingredients and cooks in the slow cooker.
This recipe is great for vegetarians, it’s also economical and very simple to prepare. Enjoy!
- 8 cups of water
- 2 cups yellow split peas (rinsed & drained)
- 1 cup diced potato
- I cup diced onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic (or substitute 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
Combine all ingredients in your slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 6-7 hours.
Add salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste.
Variations: Add chopped celery and/or carrots.
Sometimes you have to climb a mountain to see the big picture.
Step out of the comfort zone just for a moment and you just may see the world with more clarity.
It’s a beautiful world if we stopped to be present and take in the view once in a while.
Living so close to the Canadian Rockies is a gift I often take for granted.
So much beauty as Winter approaches.
I love it when I come across a recipe that is not only delicious, healthy and easy but its also made in one pot in 30 minutes!
- 1 tbsps Olive Oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 jalapeño (minced)
- 1 cup quinoa (rinsed well & drained)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 can black beans (rinsed & drained)
- 1 large can diced tomatoes (can use fresh peeled & diced)
- 1 can kernel corn
- 2 tsps chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1-2 avocados (diced)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- Chopped cilantro or green onion to garnish
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and jalapeño and cook for 1 minute stirring frequently.
- Stir in quinoa, broth, black beans, tomatoes, corn, chilli powder, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer until quinoa is cooked, approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in avocado and lime juice.
- Garnish with cilantro or green onion.
I can think of so many ways this recipe can be changed to suit your needs and leftovers can be stuffed into green peppers or squash, or try adding shredded cheese.
Adapted from Damn Delicious